Preference Tests help you choose between design variations by asking participants which they prefer.
You can ask participants to choose based on specific criteria or to simply choose which design they prefer. When taking your Preference Test, the participant is shown your criteria, the design options, and is asked to choose accordingly.
In this article
Creating a Preference Test
- Click Create a new test in the bottom left corner of your dashboard
- Click Create this test next to Preference Test
- Upload two or more design alternatives. You can provide up to 6.
- Set instructions for participants
Recruiting responses for Preference Tests
You can recruit responses from your own audience and/or order responses from the UsabilityHub panel.
Preference Test results
Results show the popularity of each design and calculate the statistical confidence of the winner.
What type of file can you upload?
The file must be a JPEG, PNG or GIF and no larger than 5MB.
How are images displayed to participants?
Images are displayed as a grid on one page, the order is randomized for each participant.
- Unmodified images are shown at native height and width
- HiDPI images are shown at half native height and width
- Framed images are shown within a device of your choice
What can you test with Preferences Tests?
Preference tests are great for choosing between variations of logos, color schemes, layouts, icons, and interfaces. We also see clever uses like testing copy preferences: email subject lines for example. See Preference Test examples here.