Custom variables are available when recruiting participants from your own audience on the Annual plan or when sending an upgraded test to your own audience.
- To track each participant individually by including a unique variable such as an email address, user ID, or other identifier in the recruitment links.
- To enrich responses with contextual (non-identifying) information such as a participant’s segment, persona, or department.
- To monitor the success of different recruitment efforts (eg. Facebook, LinkedIn, email newsletter), by including a“source” variable in the recruitment links distributed in each channel.
How to use custom variables
- Enable the recruitment link for your test. See how to recruit your own participants for instructions.
- Create variants of the link by adding your custom variables to the end of it
- Share these links in the right places or with the right people
Adding custom variables to your recruitment link
- Start by copying and pasting this link into a text editor such as Notepad
- Add a question mark (?) to the end of the URL
- For each variable you would like to save on the response, add the name of the variable, then an equals sign (=) and then the value. For example
- If you’re using more than one custom variable, put an ampersand character (&) between them.
Using a single custom variable
Using multiple custom variables
Share these links in the right places or with the right people
Generating large numbers of links with custom variables
Viewing custom variables
All custom variables are also included as columns in the CSV export of test results.