Preference test sections
Preference test sections help you choose between design variations by asking participants to select one based on specific criteria or simply pick a design they prefer. When participating in preference test sections the participant is shown your criteria, the design options, and is asked to choose accordingly.
In this article
Creating a preference test section
- Click Create a new test from your dashboard
- Select Preference test from the section picker
- Upload two or more design alternatives. You can provide up to 6.
- Set instructions for participants
Preference Test results
Results show the popularity of each design and will calculate the statistical confidence of the winner on tests with 2 options (not yet available for tests with 3 or more designs).
What type of file can you upload?
The file must be a JPEG, PNG or GIF and no larger than 5MB.
How are images displayed to participants?
Images are displayed as a grid on one page. The order is automatically randomized for each participant.
- Unmodified images are shown at native height and width
- HiDPI images are shown at half native height and width
- Framed images are shown within a device of your choice
What can you test with Preferences test sections?
Preference test sections are great for choosing between variations of logos, color schemes, layouts, icons, and interfaces. We also see clever uses like testing copy preferences: email subject lines for example. See preference test examples here.